Monday 24 April 2017

My Interview with Author Jasmine Haynes


When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?

I know most writers probably say this, but I actually started writing stories almost as soon as I could write. I wrote short stories. And in my high school English class, I wrote my first book for a project. Writing has always been my dream job.

Where do you get your ideas for your book?

Stories ideas come from life. I could be watching a movie, talking to a friend, see something at the grocery store, read an article, hear about something that happened. But also, I put myself to sleep by making up stories. And if I really like what I came up with before I fall asleep (and remember it in the morning), then that becomes a plot as well. 

What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?

I love hiking. I live in the Redwoods of Northern California, so there are lots of great places to hike. I also enjoy watching movies and TV shows, working in my atrium garden, doing needlepoint, cooking, baking. I also used to do stained glass, but I don’t have a good setup for it in my new house so I haven’t been able to do that for a while. If I ever get a nice workroom, I’ll start my stained glass work again.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

I’ve written over 50 books. It’s very hard to pick a favorite because there was always something I liked about each one. But in the end, I’d have to choose the Max Starr series, which I write under my Jasmine Haynes pseudonym, as my favorite. I seemed to channel those books. The characters were just so real to me. The first book in the series, Dead to the Max, is free as an ebook on most retailers like Amazon, iBooks, Nook, etc.

Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?

First, join an organization like the Romance Writers of America. They have fabulous classes on honing the writing craft. Second, write. Try to eke out at least a page a day. And never give up!

What do you think makes a great story?

Great characters make a great story. They have to be people that seem real, though I don’t necessarily like them. I’ve read plenty of great books where I didn’t actually like the characters, but they were totally believable. And they were wrapped up in a totally believable story, doing things real people would do, even if it’s not the right thing to do.

Which Writer/Authors inspire you?

I grew up on writers like Victoria Holt, Phyllis Whitney, Kathleen Woodiwiss, Laurie McBain, Nora Roberts. All these authors pulled me into the worlds they created. I couldn’t wait for their next book to come out. And they inspired me to write the best stories I can.

What are you working on at the moment?(optional)

I’m working on the next book in my Jennifer Skully office romance series, Pretty in Pink Slip, After Office Hours, Book 3. I’ll have the book out this summer.

What genre are your books?

I write in several different genres. Jennifer Skully is romantic comedy, humorous mystery, office romance, reincarnation. And Jasmine Haynes is my erotic side, writing contemporary erotic romance and paranormal mystery.

What drew you to the genre you write?

I’ve been writing a long time so what I love to write has changed a lot during that period. The Max Starr series from Jasmine Haynes came first because I loved paranormal mystery. This isn’t vampires or werewolves, but psychics and ghosts. I also wanted to write on the light side, which is the romantic comedy from Jennifer Skully, usually involving a mystery as well. But when erotic romance began to get big, I decided to try my hand at that as well, and found I loved writing the naughty stuff as well. And because I was an accountant in my former life, many of my books are set in the business world, like my After Office Hours series. As Jennifer Skully, I’m also writing a contemporary romance billionaire series with Bella Andre, the Maverick Billionaires. So I switch around, and that way I never get bored with writing the same thing.

Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?(any book you like)

I would love to have Dylan McDermott play Brett Baker, the hero in my latest work, Pretty in Pink Slip. Dylan McDermott is totally hot, and just the right age for my hero. I love writing older heroes.

Do you write full-time or part-time?

I’m a full-time writer, including all the promotion and marketing that goes with it

What is the hardest thing about writing?

Definitely the hardest part of writing is promoting yourself. I’m not a good marketer. It’s very hard to put yourself out there all the time. 

Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?

The truth is I don’t believe in writer’s block. Yes, there are days where what we write is total crap and it will get axed on the chopping block. But as long as a writer is writing, whether it’s crap or not, then eventually the words will start flowing again. I think that rather than calling it writer’s block, it’s really that we don’t know what’s going to happen next. But as long as you keep writing, it will eventually come. See the theme here? Just write, even if you’re afraid that what you’re writing is crap, even if you’re afraid that your idea isn’t any good, even if you don’t know what’s going to happen, even if you don’t have an idea. Write about your character. Write about the town he or she lives in. Write about his or her family. Write about the worst thing that happened to him, the best thing. Just write.

Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?

I actually listen to audiobooks more than I read, because I can be doing other things (like cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc). I love reading mysteries. A few of my favorite authors are Greg Iles, Karin Slaughter, John Hart, Lee Child, Michael Connelly.

How can Readers discovery more about you and your work?(please provide proper links)

I love to hear from readers and the best way for them to learn about me is by joining my newsletter. I give away 3 free books just for joining. Here’s all the ways readers can find me!
Newsletter signup: http://bit.ly/SkullyNews
Website: www.jasminehaynes.com or www.jenniferskully.com
Blog: www.jasminehaynes.blogspot.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jasminehaynesauthor
Twitter: https://twitter.com/jasminehaynes1
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/130583.Jasmine_Haynes
Bookbub: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/jennifer-skully

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview 😊

And I appreciate you having me on your blog. Thanks for all the great questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment