Friday 24 March 2017

My Interview with Author Alyson Pearce


When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?

I’ve known I wanted to be a writer since I was five. I was always coming up with stories and ideas for books, even as a kid. My grandmother was responsible for that. She gave me a piece of paper and a pencil one day (to keep me distracted, more than likely) and I went to town. I made up story after story. And it just grew from there. 

Where do you get your ideas for your book?

I write historical romance, set in the Regency era, so I look at what was happening during the time I was writing. I have a background in fine arts, and I knew I wanted to do something with that, and that’s how the idea for the Eccentrics was born. They were a real organisation who did a lot with the arts, so it felt natural that I would form a series around them. 

What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?

Aside from reading, which I feel is a given, I love cooking. It’s a stress reliever. I love trying new recipes and learning new styles of cooking. I also knit and play with my adorable Yorkie. 

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

So far, I’ve only got the one book out, but it was a work in progress for a very long time. Since it’s my only one out, by default, it’s my favourite!

Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?

If it brings you joy, write it, and don’t let anyone tell you that what you’re writing is wrong or stupid or ‘not really writing.’ Write every single day and don’t throw anything away. Keep every draft. You never know when you’re going to use something from a previous draft in a final one. Also, carry a notebook. Some of my best ideas come when I’m away from a computer, so always have somewhere you can jot them down. 

What do you think makes a great story?

Characters, to me, are the most important part of a story. If the characters aren’t believable, if I’m not rooting for them, then it doesn’t matter how stellar the plot is, I won’t be interested. But I do think it takes getting the characters, setting, and plot all right for a story to be great. Research is important. It’s always easy to spot when a story hasn’t been well researched. 

Which Writer/Authors inspire you?

The three who inspire me the most would have to be KJ Charles, Jordan L. Hawk, and Bonnie Dee. I got into the M/M genre as a reader, and Bonnie Dee’s were some of the first I had ever read. Jordan’s books are a prime example of how to do series right, especially a longer series, like Whyborne & Griffin. KJ’s writing is just so nuanced. She takes great care in making sure that it’s not just another historical romance by including the social politics of the day, and it works beautifully.

What are you working on at the moment?(optional)

At the moment, I’m working on the sequel to The Viscount and the Artist. It’s book two of The Eccentrics. It’s slow going right now, but I’m hoping to get it out by June or July.

What genre are your books?

I write M/M historical romance. Regency, for the moment, but I have plans for some M/M Victorian paranormal involving vampires. 

What drew you to the genre you write?

One summer I visited my grandmother and found her historical romances. She’s something of a book collector, being a former librarian, and I don’t think she had ever read them. But I did, and I fell in love with historical romances. As I got older, I discovered fandoms and fan fiction, and wondered if there was a way to combine the two into some original gay historical romance. As it turned out, there was. The rest is kind of history.

Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?(any book you like)

I would see a young Simon Woods (Mr Bingley from the 2005 Pride and Prejudice) playing Jeremy, one of the two main characters from The Viscount and the Artist. He’s the artist of the pair. 

Do you write full-time or part-time?

Currently, I split my time between writing and editing for Between the Lines Editing, an LGBT-specific editing service. 

What is the hardest thing about writing?

For me, the hardest part is the first draft. I have such a strong inner editor that turning her off is nearly impossible. I second guess each and every line, sometimes down to every word I write. It makes editing much easier, though!

Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?

Well I’m currently suffering through it, so take any advice I give with a grain of salt. What I try to do is work on peripheral things, still related to the story. I make family trees. I research like mad. I make playlists or find face claims. I do anything that will further my writing, except writing. Ultimately, I try to remember why I fell in love with the stories and the characters in the first place. 

Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?

I read a LOT. As far as M/M goes, my favourite authors are the same ones who inspire me. I read a lot of fantasy, and have a near-obsession with JRR Tolkien. I own several of his extended canon and quite a bit of merchandise. 

Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

Nope, that about covers everything!

How can Readers discovery more about you and your work?(please provide proper links)

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AlysonPearceAuthor/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/pearce_alyson
Website: http://www.alysonpearce.com/

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview 

No comments:

Post a Comment