Thursday 9 March 2017

My Interview with Author J.D.R. Hawkins


When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?

 I realized it when my first son was a toddler. I started writing children’s books, and as my kids grew, so did my books. First, I started with children’s picture books and drew the artwork myself. Then I branched out to middle grade and young adult, until I wrote my first novel.

Where do you get your ideas for your book?

 I get ideas from places I’ve been and people I’ve met. 

What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?

 I enjoy doing things outdoors, like hiking and gardening. I’m also a musician, so I try to find time to play and sing.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

 I have written numerous books. I think my favorite so far is A Rebel Among Us. It’s the only book I’ve written that is a romance.

Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?

 Keep pursuing your dreams and perfecting your craft.

What do you think makes a great story?

 I think a great story consists of several elements – a good plot line, suspense to keep the reader invested, realistic characters, and a fast pace. Personally, I like stories with unexpected plot twists.

Which Writer/Authors inspire you?

 I have always been a fan of Margaret Mitchell. I also like Geraldine Brooks, Christina Baker Kline, and J.K. Rowling.

What are you working on at the moment?(optional)

 I’m in the process of re-publishing the first two books in the Renegade Series with my current publisher. I am also having a nonfiction book published this summer about the Civil War. After that, I plan on publishing a young adult novel, as well as the fourth book in the Renegade Series.

What genre are your books?

 Primarily historical fiction

What drew you to the genre you write?

 I have always been fascinated with the Victorian era. After visiting Gettysburg, I was enthralled by the enormity of the battlefield and the stories surrounding the battle. So I decided to write a novel about it. One novel grew into a series.

Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?(any book you like)

 Actually, I would like to see a new, unknown actor play the part of David Summers.

Do you write full-time or part-time?

 I write part-time and market part-time.

What is the hardest thing about writing?

 To me, it’s the editing. It seems like an endless job. Every time I read through a manuscript, I find something that I think needs to be changed. Writing is the fun part.

Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?

 There are a number of word exercises that can help with that. I like referring to the newspaper. People are weird and fascinating. Nothing makes a better story than real life. Like they say, you can’t make this stuff up!

Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?

 I’m a fan of Katie Bloomstrom and her Samantha Stone series. Those novels are hilarious!

Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

 I’d like to tell everyone who is interested in writing to stay true to your heart. I’ve seen writers who go crazy writing the next big thing just to sell books (vampires, zombies, whatever), but I find it much more fulfilling to write about things that are important to me.

How can Readers discovery more about you and your work?(please provide proper links)

https://www.amazon.com/Rebel-Among-Us-J-D-R-Hawkins/dp/1537167871/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476830523&sr=8-1&keywords=a+rebel+among+us
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rebel-Among-Us-J-D-R-Hawkins-ebook/dp/B01LXU8NZR/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1474131845&sr=1-1&keywords=A+rebel+Among+Us
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/665424
https://www.foundationsbooks.net/book/a-rebel-among-us-by-j-d-r-hawkins/ 


Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment