Thursday 9 March 2017

My Interview with Author Cathryn Fox


When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author? 

I’ve always been an avid reader, and many years ago, I used to work for Environment Canada, finance department…shiver. My husband, who is a meteorologist ended up posted up north, Churchill Falls, shortly after we were married. I didn’t love my job, so I left it and went with him. I read a lot in that small town, and when I ran out of books to read I decided to write one. After we left Churchill Falls, I joined Romance Writers of American, and our local Halifax chapter, Romance Writers of Atlantic Canada.

Where do you get your ideas for your book?

For me ideas come from everywhere. Songs, television shows, conversations I’m eavesdropping (LOL) and dreams. I could be reading an article, and an idea forms, or just from reading another book. 

What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?

I’m a foodie, so I love trying new recipes, and my husband is into movies, so we often settle down at the end of the day together and watch TV. I spend a lot of time walking in the evening with my sister. I would love to say I am an avid gardener, but the truth is, I love all the fresh produce but hate gardening.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

Well, I’ve written over eighty books, all various lengths, from novellas (25K), to category size (50K) to full length (90K) I think one of my favourite books was Hands On, Entangled Scorched, and I love my In the Line of Duty, Military series. 

Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?

Write every day, join organizations, learn the craft, and learn it some more. Most importantly, surround yourself with positive people who will lift you up, not bring you down. I always say, fill your boat with those who are paddling, and not drilling holes into the bottom when you’re not looking

What do you think makes a great story?

Conflict. Conflict. Conflict. And the characters being able to overcome their flaws and find their happily ever after through growth. 

Which Writer/Authors inspire you?

I love so many writers. Lori Foster, Colleen Hoover, Jay Crownover, Vi Keeland, Lauren Blakely, They are all such hard working women who give back and that’s very inspiring. 

What are you working on at the moment?(optional)

I am working on a brand new proposal, five stories featuring anti-heroes. These guys have done time in prison and are now trying to face the ones they loved and hurt. The books will be a little darker, and more emotional than my others. 

What genre are your books?

I mainly write Contemporary Romance, with heat. I have written paranormal under the name of Taylor Keating, and New Adult paranormal under the name Cat Kalen

What drew you to the genre you write?

It’s what I like to read, so naturally it was I gravitated toward when I first started writing. I used to read a lot of paranormal romance but now I seem to read only contemporary. 

Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?(any book you like)

Well for any book I’d like either Chris Pratt or Ryan Reynolds, and if they’re the lead male, then I HAVE to be the lead female!! 

Do you write full-time or part-time?
Full time for me. I turned in the briefcase years ago and never looked back.

What is the hardest thing about writing?

Writing is hard, simple as that. But for me, the hardest thing is openings. It usually takes me a few chapters before I get my groove. Also, coming up with new, interesting story lines that haven’t been done before. 

Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?

Find something else creative to do. For me, it’s creating in the kitchen, or just getting out with friends and getting away from the work for a while. 

Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?

I read a LOT. I read every day, and as I mentioned, mostly contemporary. I mentioned a few of my favourite authors, but I can add to the list with Lauren Hawkeye, Tawny Stokes, Mari Carr, Gina Maxwell, Pam Callow (A local) Julianne MacLean ( a local) Kelly Boyce (a local) Jayne Rylon, Cat Johnson, Diana Gabaldon, Roni Loren, Sylvia Day, Sasha White, Lisa Renee Jones…and the list goes on…

Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

If you’re a secret romance writer and reading this please check out our local chapter. You will meet some wonderful supportive writers! http://www.rwaac.org


How can Readers discovery more about you and your work?(please provide proper links)

You can find me everywhere. Be sure to sign up for my newletter, for special sneak peaks, and prizes.
Newsletter https://app.mailerlite.com/webforms/landing/c1f8n1
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/AuthorCathrynFox
Twitter https://twitter.com/writercatfox
Bookbub https://www.bookbub.com/authors/cathryn-fox
Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Cathryn-Fox/e/B001IODELE/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1468888284&sr=8-2-ent

Website where you’ll find a free book. http://www.cathrynfox.com

Street team. If you’re interested in joining we’d LOVE to have you. We have a lot of fun over there, and lots of special prizes and contests for my lovely FOXY ladies!  https://www.facebook.com/groups/FOXYFICTION/



Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview 😊

Thank you for having me!

No comments:

Post a Comment