Thursday 9 March 2017

My Interview with Author Wynter S.K


  1. When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?
At about the age of 7, when I wrote my first stories for my elementary school press! 

  1. Where do you get your ideas for your books?
Literally anywhere. Film, TV, an advertisement in a magazine. A song. A newspaper article. I try to keep my mind open to the possibilities, and they’re endless. 

  1. What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?
Reading, working out, and watching my favorite TV shows (Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire [though no longer in production. Sad days.], Quantico), spending time with my family. I love checking out new restaurants with my husband, or catching a new movie, or checking out a new craft cocktail. 

  1. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
I’ve written several full-length novels, but so far have only published two, though more are assuredly on the way! I really love Pas de Deux, because it was such an emotionally wrought time in my life when I wrote it that it translated into the book. I love The Mood for Trouble, because it combined lots of action, humor, and some angst and was just such great fun to write. So far, my forthcoming historical fiction novel, set during Prohibition, has been my most impassioned write. It’s my graduate school thesis, and I’m so in love with it. I can’t wait to share it with readers. 

  1. Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?
Read, read, read. Read everything. Take classes, read craft books, join an MFA program. Really study the craft of writing. Read the work of your peers as a writer, not a reader. Most importantly, write for yourself. Don’t write for trends or “what sells”. Write what makes YOU happy. 

  1. What do you think makes a great story?
On a surface level, craft makes a great story. When sentences are clear, vivid, concise, and confident, I’ll read anything. On a more in-depth level, well-rounded characters, well-developed plot, vivid setting descriptions, and emotion make a great story. 

  1. Which Writer/Authors inspire you?
I’m huge fan of Flannery O’Connor, Raymond Carver, and Mario Puzo. 

  1. What are you working on at the moment?(optional)
I’m working on a historical fiction romance, set in 1924 during Prohibition, about a young lounge singer whose mafia ties send her to hide out in a small Nebraska town run by a family of bootleggers. Her older brother, a gangster in Chicago, was murdered earlier in the year and as she struggles with her grief, she finds romance with one of the bootleggers. She realizes that the glitzy, charmed life she lived in the big city wasn’t anywhere close to reality when she discovers she’s been betrayed by someone she trusted. Soon, she’s faced with a choice: love, or revenge? 

  1. What genre are your books?
They’re sort of all over the place, actually! My first book is contemporary romance. My second is romantic suspense. There’s this historical fiction, and I have plans to write a sci-fi cyberpunk romance, and a regency steampunk adventure romance. I suppose “romance” would be the default, but I don’t believe in pigeon-holing myself into anything. I also have a bunch of thrillers planned under a different pen name. 


  1. What drew you to the genre you write?
I suppose it’s the fact that I guess I’m a romantic at heart. I am fascinated by the power of love, what it can cause, what it can inspire, and how it can change people for good or for bad. 

  1. Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?(any book you like)
I think Mila Kunis would make a kick-ass Chase Moreno, from The Mood for Trouble! She’s sassy, tough, funny, and fierce. I always envisioned someone like Henry Cavill playing Jonathan Harper from the same novel; kickass, but suave and super British!

  1. Do you write full-time or part-time?
Sort of both! I consider writing my full-time career, but I do have a full-time day job. 

  1. What is the hardest thing about writing?
Actually sitting down to do it. There’s nothing more daunting than that white screen, just staring at you, waiting for words. 

  1. Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?
Let it run its course. We all go through it. Do things to clear the cobwebs, like watch a movie or read a book, or work on a different story. Think about the problem you’re having it, approach it like a riddle or even a math problem—the solution is there. You just have to find it. And sometimes if your Muse is behaving nicely (which, ha!) you may just be struck with inspiration at the oddest time, in the oddest place. For me, it’s the shower or while I’m driving. 


  1. Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?
I read a lot, though not nearly as much as I would like to. Since I’ve been in school, I’ve been reading tons of literary fiction by Flannery O’Connor and Raymond Carver. My favorite book of all time is the Godfather by Mario Puzo. I love Dennis Lehane’s thrillers; they’re gritty and so captivating. I love to read literally anything with a great voice, confidence, and the means to entertain me. 

  1. Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?
Thank you for this opportunity to chat, and I hope your readers will give my books a spin. Pas de Deux is contemporary romance, about an Army soldier and a ballerina, and how each of their respective traumas bring them together to grow and heal. 
The Mood for Trouble follows a CIA operative driven to bring down a Russian crime family after the murder of her partner, and a DEA Special Agent after the same crime family. They’re get along about as well as two people in a mine field at first, but it doesn’t take long for them to find their spark! If you liked Mr. and Mrs. Smith, you’ll love this!  

  1. How can readers discover more about you and your work?(please provide proper links)
You can find me on these social networks: 
Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview

No comments:

Post a Comment