Friday 10 March 2017

My Interview with Author LeAnn Kelley


When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?
I remember as a kid always wanting to write books, but my stories never seemed to get finished. It wasn’t until my daughter was born that I realized how much I loved writing. When I was telling her stories that I had made up over the years, it was then that I realized how much I love and missed writing, so I decided to get back to my passion. 

Where do you get your ideas for your book?
I find ideas for my books everywhere! Ideas come when I see a picture or watch an interaction. I think of how it can apply to the world I have written and go with it. 

What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?
Spending time with my family, kayaking, painting, spending time with friends/family and relaxing in-front of a beautiful bonfire!

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
Technically I have started more than I can remember, but I have finished and published one and now working on the second book in its series. I will say my finished book is my favorite, “The Tales of Iryvalya: Bloodlines”, because it was a story that found me and just had to be written. I find a lot of myself is in this book, and I love sharing it with my readers.

Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?
Keep writing, write everywhere and anywhere. If you have a minute to write down a thought or idea, even if it is on a napkin in lipstick, do it!

What do you think makes a great story?
When the story or character(s) can reach inside and touch something inside of me that makes me connect to them, I feel the story is great. When there is that connection, the story becomes so much more then just words on a page.

Which Writer/Authors inspire you?
I am inspired by many different writers and authors. There are some of my favorite authors like Kim Harrison, Laurell K. Hamilton and so on, but I find that writers/authors in general inspire me. Writers seem to be a group of people that love to help push each other up and encourage each other to keep writing and following our stories. 

What are you working on at the moment?
I am currently working on book two in my series of The Tales of Iryvalya. This book continues to follow Nyrieve through her struggles of fulfilling the prophecy as the “Bringer of Peace”. In book two we will meet new characters, learn more of the history of Iryvalya and the Klayns, and even meet some dragons.

What genre are your books?
My current series is Epic Fantasy Fiction. It is based in the world of Iryvalya, with magical people and creatures. 

What drew you to the genre you write?
My character Nyrieve. I have always enjoyed writing about magic and paranormal things. However, when the story of Nyrieve came to me, it brought to me into a fantasy world that I never knew I would love and enjoy so much. 

Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?(any book you like)
I could almost see a Jennifer Lawrence type actress portray Nyrieve. Someone who is strong, intelligent, beautiful, but can portray someone who must grow as a character. She’d have to be someone who can who can show their strength as well as weaknesses in a way that is relatable to people on a personal level.

Do you write full-time or part-time?
As far as employment, writing is my fulltime job. However, I do not restrict my writing to any specific time of the day. I writing anytime! Any free moment I write, even if I am just jotting down a story idea, a detail for one of my characters or an attribute for the world my story takes place in. Writing for me isn’t something I can just schedule, because when the stories and ideas come to me, I need to listen to them and write them down no matter what time it is. 

What is the hardest thing about writing?
Having to stop writing. When I am in the zone and the words are flowing, it is so hard to stop and do other things I need or even love to do.

Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?
Keep writing. If you are finding yourself stuck on a topic or point of your story, work around it. If your story is going A to B to C to D, and you’re sitting at point B and do not know how to get to C, then work on how C gets to D. Usually then the connection of B to C will come to me. 

Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?
I love to read, though I do not have as much time to read as I’d like. That is in part to writing and having a preschooler that keeps me busy! When I do get to read, I love to read all different types of books, Paranormal, Urban Fantasy, and more. I have always enjoyed Kim Harrison, Laurell K Hamilton, and starting to enjoy George RR Martin as well. I will read any author if the story has me interested. 

Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?
Being an author encompasses much more than just writing a book. It involves building a brand. Some of the most important advice I can pass along to an inspiring writer would be to work your social media platforms just as hard as writing your books. 

How can Readers discovery more about you and your work?

Reader’s can follow me through my website, Amazon, Goodreads and my different social media sites:

Website: www.LeAnnKelley.com
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Iryvalya-Bloodlines-LeAnn-Kelley-ebook/dp/B01EQRDS8I 
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/15204195.LeAnn_Kelley 
Facebook: www.facebook.com/LeAnnKelleyOfficial
Twitter: www.twitter.com/LeAnn_Kelley_
Instagram: www.instagram.com/LeAnnKelley
Blog: http://leannkelley.blogspot.com 


Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview 

No comments:

Post a Comment