Thursday 9 March 2017

My Interview with Author Rachel De Vine


When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?

I have been making up stories since I was a child. I even was a runner-up, at the age of seven, in a writing competition in a national newspaper. The first prize was a pony, and I think my Mum was pleased that I didn’t win, as it would have been another mouth to feed! However, I didn’t begin to seriously write until about fifteen years ago.

Where do you get your ideas for your book?

Sometimes I get ideas from a real life event, and some are inspired by places to which I’ve travelled. Sometimes the idea just pops into my brain, and I have no idea where it came from.

What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?

I love to travel, and am lucky enough to have been to so many fantastic places over the years. I also love music and reading and being with my wonderful extended family.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

I have written seven books as Rachel de Vine, and am about to publish my third book as Juliette Banks. I have two favourites (if that is allowed). The first is Songbird by Rachel de Vine, and the second is The Artist by Juliette Banks. Both books (one contemporary, the other historical) feature a female character who succeeds, despite the enormous odds. I had some lovely reviews for Songbird, as so many of my readers empathised with her.

Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?

I would tell people to read a lot in the genre in which they wish to write, especially by authors you admire. You can learn a lot from them. Secondly, nothing beats practice. Like everything else in life, you don’t improve unless you practice. Don’t give up.

What do you think makes a great story?

For me, I need great characters with whom you can empathise, and a plot that grabs you in the gut. I like a book that really makes me feel the passion and the pain that the characters are going through. If you don’t care for the characters it is hard to care about what happens to them.

Which Writer/Authors inspire you?

There are so many great authors, both past and present. When I was younger I read a lot of D.H. Lawrence, Thomas Hardy and the Bronte Sisters, whose work resonated with me. More recently I have come to admire Emmanuelle de Maupassant and Chloe Thurlow – both brilliant, contemporary writers.

What are you working on at the moment?(optional)

My latest book has just been published. It is called The Russian Bride. It is an erotic story that takes place in both England and Russia, and is a little darker than some of my more recent books.

What genre are your books?

All my books as both Rachel and Juliette are classed as erotic fiction.

What drew you to the genre you write?

Like a lot of writers I saw the Fifty Shades of Grey phenomenon, and decided that, as I wasn’t making much headway with my non-erotic books, that I would try writing erotica. My first book was accepted by Blushing Books, and I have published with them ever since.


Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?(any book you like)

For The Russian Bride, I think that Brie Larson would be good as Natasha, Jake Gyllenhaal as the hero, James, who rescues her, and Tom Hardy would make a good Viktor, the villain of the story.

Do you write full-time or part-time?

I write part-time, as I have a lot of other commitments. 

What is the hardest thing about writing?

I would say the editing and revision part. The actual writing is great fun, when I can let my imagination run wild. Also, the first week or two after a book is published I am on tenterhooks about whether people will read and enjoy it. Like a lot of writers I sometimes lack confidence in my writing abilities, and one bad review can be soul destroying. Thankfully there are usually some much kinder reviews to compensate.

Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?

I’m very fortunate that I rarely suffer from this. But if I start a story and then feel it isn’t going as well as I had hoped, then I will leave it and begin another one. I will probably come back to the first one at some point, and often find I have fresh ideas about it. For this reason I have several writing projects on the go at one time.

Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?

I read a lot, although not as much as I would like. Currently most of the books on my Kindle are by authors I know or based on recommendations I have seen. Finding the time to read is the hard point. I have just read Emmanuelle de Maupassant’s exquisite story based in the 1920s, called Highland Pursuits. Another book that I absolutely loved was Chloe Thurlow’s book, Katie in Love. I think that Chloe is one of the best young writers around.

Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

No, other than to say thank you for allowing me to contribute to your interview blog.

How can Readers discovery more about you and your work?(please provide proper links)

The Russian Bride https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XH4C3BW
www.racheldevineauthor.com
https://racheldevineauthor.wordpress.com  
https://www.facebook.com/juliettebanksauthor/
www.twitter.com/juliettebanksuk
www.twitter.com/racheldevineuk 
https://www.amazon.com/Juliette-Banks/e/B01K0EIMNW
         https://www.amazon.com/Rachel-de-Vine/e/B00N58ULQW



Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment