Thursday 16 March 2017

My Interview with Author Tamara Lakomy


When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?

As a child I always looked up to writers the most. They were the ones who shaped the consciousness and the cultural wealth of a society and influenced you from a young age in school, they conveyed the accumulated wisdom of the times and the philosophy of the ages. They inspired thought and debate and I always believed that story telling was so important to keep people’s minds free, encouraging them to dream.

Where do you get your ideas for your book?

My studies at university helped me shape my ideas as I was into the occult practices of indigenous people and fascinated with ancient religions. I grew up in a household that believed that I should be exposed to ancient myths and legends and history, it did help that my mother and grandmother were great story tellers.
Shamanism and Gnostic Christianity were great sources of inspiration for me, and it helps that I spend a lot of time daydreaming, so I observe people around me and weave them into imaginary stories all the time.

What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?

I enjoy reading and discovering the world, whether its through travelling or getting to know other cultures. I am very creative, so I put it to use at work a lot, I dream up new concepts and ideas that hopefully one day I will be able to pursue.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

I’ve finished my second book and I am polishing it up. It’s fantasy, based on our world and set in North Africa, blending elements of my culture’s folklore and the effects of the second world war behind a veneer of a cult of black necromancy magic.

Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?

Gain life experiences; it helps to shape characters who are believable. When you base your characters on people with real rich lives it lends them an air of authenticity that will attract people and make them attached. Life experiences however small give you insight into the human psyche; our intricate motives and reasoning. 
Experiencing life allows you to broaden your horizon and your imagination allowing you to create things you wouldn’t deem possible.

What do you think makes a great story?

Strong characters who have depth, who have tasted pain and joy, suffering and hope. Characters who are real and raw and close to the bone, as well as a theme that people can relate to and that intrigues. Everyone is searching for meaning and purpose and it is no different in fantasy, and that purpose must be powerful and something we all feel we would want to be involved in if we were inside the story.

Which Writer/Authors inspire you?

I grew up in a francophone environment, so I would say many French authors influenced me earlier on in life, to name a few; Zola, Guy de Maupassant, Balzac and especially George Sand. She was amazing and I remember wanting to be like her, I still read her books fondly, remembering how far I’ve come.
Poets actually had a deep influence on me, the magic of words and pulling on heart strings, then of course Tolkien dragged me into a fantastic world, ineffable and heart breaking and I don’t think I’ve ever recovered. 

What are you working on at the moment?

 I am polishing up my second novel, very different to the first novel and I am sure my readers will love it!

What genre are your books?

My books are mostly Dark Fantasy, though I can see how some of my writing can be classified as High Fantasy.

What drew you to the genre you write?
Dark fantasy is a vehicle for exploring the darker aspects of human nature and  the wilder aspects of our imagination. Dark fantasy keeps the story raw and real, it mirrors our world with its heaviness and darkness and allows me to explore themes that are relevant to us in this modern day.

Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book? (any book you like)
I believe Tom Hardy would be excellent for the lead role of Mikhail the Templar and Alicia Vikander would make an amazing Estella.
Gary Oldman would make a great Oswald…

 Do you write full-time or part-time?

Part time, I have a day job with a company that I co founded and I write on the side. It is the thing that gives me the most joy in life and fulfilment and hopefully one day I will transition to become a full time author.

What is the hardest thing about writing?

Letting go when the end is there. I become so enamoured with my characters, after all, they live in my mind day and night till the day I complete the novel, so it is a bittersweet experience. Also not allowing myself to get carried away on a tangent, I try to write true to myself, but also bearing the audience in mind, as my imagination is quite dark and heavy and my cultural context makes me quite interested in the darker aspect of human nature.

 Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?

I create conservations and scenes between my different characters without aiming to generate a particular result. I allow them to discover each other, creating anecdotes and delving deep into their backstories. It helps inspiration; when you pour so much life into your characters that their complexity begins to engender stories of their own accord.

Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?

Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

How can Readers discovery more about you and your work?(please provide proper links)

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RedFernManor/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/15558568.T_M_Lakomy
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/Shadow_Crucible
Book trailer:  
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Crucible-Blind-God/dp/1590794141
Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-shadow-crucible-t-m-lakomy/1124245404?ean=9781590794142

Its always easy to get hold of me on facebook by sending a message to my author page or through Twitter, I engage readily with people and love to get to know people!

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview 

No comments:

Post a Comment