Sunday 19 March 2017

My Interview with Author JB Havens


When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?

 In high school, I went from terrible poetry to writing a short story for a friend. That’s when I knew I wanted to be a writer.

Where do you get your ideas for your book?

 As cliché as it sounds, I had a dream about the main character in my Steel Corps series. She’s this amazing, strong willed, kick-ass person and I woke up and just had to write her story.

What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?

  Spending time with my children and husband. I’m also a huge fan of Supernatural and The 100. I read when I can, though I often don’t have time to.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

 I’ve written 3 novels, one anthology that contains 3 short stories, co-authored 2 novellas with Samantha A. Cole, and recently released a stand-alone short story. As for my favorite, that’s like asking me which of my kids is my favorite. The No Way In Hell novellas were the most fun to write, but I really also loved branching out and exploring new characters in my anthology.

Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?

 If you want to write, do it. Don’t worry about sentence structure or the perfect word. Just get the story out. Editing will take care of the rest. 

What do you think makes a great story?

 Several things, you must have relatable characters, no matter the genre. If your reader can’t see part of themselves in the characters, they won’t like it. Your characters should drive the plot, not the other way around. 

Which Writer/Authors inspire you?

 This is too long of a list. In particular, Mark Tufo, Laurell K. Hamilton, and Samantha A. Cole. I read a very eclectic mix of books and genres. 

What are you working on at the moment?

 The fourth book in my Steel Corps series, Bound by Steel. After that I have a project I can’t really talk about and a full length novel for Molly Everett, who debuts in Beyond the Night, my anthology.

What genre are your books?

 I write a few genres, military thrillers and horror. I’m also interested in low-level science fiction mixed with horror. 

What drew you to the genre you write?

 I’ve always held a deep fascination for the military and a great respect for those who serve. I also wanted to explore how a female in command would do in a special operations group made up for mainly men. 

Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?

 I would love to see Scarlett Johansson as Mic from my Steel Corps series. 

Do you write full-time or part-time?

 Right now, part time. Like most self-published authors, I still have to carry a day-job to help pay the bills. 

What is the hardest thing about writing? 

That’s different for each author I think. For me, it’s editing. It’s absolutely necessary, but it gives me a migraine.

Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?

 Take a break if you need it. Something I learned the hard way is not to put too much pressure on yourself. It just hinders the creative process. 

Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?

 I don’t have as much time to read as I used to. I’ve been reading a lot of horror i.e. zombies. I’m a huge Walking Dead fan, but even before the show, I was a die-hard zombie movie freak. 

Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included? 

How can Readers discovery more about you and your work?

 You can find me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. I also have a website. 
www.jbhavens.weebly.com 
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100012301263611 
www.facebook.com/jbhavens 
twitter @havens_b 
IG @jbhavensauthor 

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment