Friday 24 March 2017

My Interview with Author Katerina Ross


When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?

I’ve been always writing something ever since I learned how to do that :)

Where do you get your ideas for your book?

Plots and characters evolve by themselves, but I usually do thorough research when it comes to details. For example, if I describe a bondage scene, I need to know exactly what different knots look like and if it’s hard for my character to tie them.

What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?

I like traveling, in Russia, my home country, and abroad.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

Only one in English so far, an M/M BDSM novel “Tenderly Wicked” set in Moscow – and two in Russian (I write suspense under a different pen name). My favorite is always the one I’m working on at the moment. Now it’s a paranormal novelette set in Prague.

Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?

Having supporters, people who read your stories and tell you they want more is always of great help. I was very much encouraged by feedback on my fanfiction. It’s nice to receive kudos and comments from my readers on AO3 :) By the way, if you want some free stuff, you can find me there. I write under the name of <a href="https://archiveofourown.org/users/tenderly_wicked/pseuds/tenderly_wicked">tenderly_wicked</a>. Just mind the warnings! There will be lots of angst, BDSM themes, and M/M of course.

What do you think makes a great story?

Great stories always evoke emotional response, be it sympathy, fear, etc.

Which Writer/Authors inspire you?

Alistair MacLean. He had a great talent for describing action.

What genre are your books?

Angsty M/M romances.

What drew you to the genre you write?

I guess I have to blame “Sherlock” for it. I became a fan of this series, then I got into reading fanfiction based on it, and it happened to be slash fanfiction. And somehow I started writing it, too.

Which Actor would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?

The character in the story I’m busy with now, an unlicensed magician traveling across Eastern Europe, looks very much like Benedict Cumberbatch, but I’m afraid there are little chances he’ll agree to take part in the filming if it ever comes to that :)

Do you write full-time or part-time?

I also work as a journalist and a translator, but that’s writing, too, so it’s full-time anyway, I suppose.

What is the hardest thing about writing?

For me, it’s writing in a foreign language. My first language is Russian, but it seemed hardly possible to officially publish an M/M romance in my country, especially a BDSM one, so I had to write the novel I wanted in English.

Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?

I usually write a few things simultaneously, both in English and in Russian, and switch between them, so if a story gets stuck, I can proceed with another one.

Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?

I read a lot – romances, thrillers, fantasy, historical fiction…and BDSM tutorials. Recently, I was very much impressed with two Russian authors, Katya Cotey (she writes historical fantasy set in the Victorian era) and Kseniya Medvedevich (she’s also a fantasy author), but their novels are not translated into English yet.

How can Readers discover more about you and your work?

You can find me on <a href="https://www.facebook.com/people/Katerina-Ross/100012647831003">Facebook</a> and <a href=" http://tenderlywicked.tumblr.com/">Tumblr</a> if you’re so inclined :) And here’s my novel <a href="https://www.amazon.com/Tenderly-Wicked-Katerina-Ross-ebook/dp/B01LYGUJ02">on Amazon</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment