Saturday 18 March 2017

My Interview with Author Jacqueline Winters


  1. When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author? 
I used to read Goosebumps books like they were going out of style. I remember one day in the kitchen, I was about 8 or 9, I asked my mom if RL Stine made any money. When she said he did, I thought ‘I can do this. I can write books!’ And I’ve been writing them ever since.
  1. Where do you get your ideas for your book?
I get my ideas from everywhere. It’s usually a little idea here, a what if there, a random thought here, an overheard sentence there. An entire book can develop out of one tiny detail. It’s easy for me to get carried away like that!
  1. What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?
I like to be outdoors. Hiking, walking my dog, paddle boarding. I also enjoy reading and binge watching things like Supernatural, Once Upon a Time, and the Hallmark channel.
  1. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
I’ve written at least 7 books I can count (published 2, about to be 3). I don’t know that I could pick a favorite. It’d be like forcing me to pick a favorite kind of cupcake. How do you do that? 
  1. Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?
Write often. Even on days you don’t feel like it. You can always fix it later, but you can’t fix a blank page. And have patience! Your first draft is meant to be messy. It’s the place where you really figure out what your story is about, but you must finish it to really know.
  1. What do you think makes a great story?
Engaging, well-developed characters. Characters with flaws but desires to overcome. If your characters are on point, they will lead you through any story. 
  1. Which Writer/Authors inspire you?
My favorite romance authors are Jude Deveraux and Kristan Higgins. I know I can rely on them for stories that give you butterflies and laughs. I would love to be that author someday that readers turn to when they need a good feel-good story.
  1. What are you working on at the moment?(optional)
Currently I’m finishing up Simply Scandalous, which is the third book in my Willow Creek series. It’s a contemporary romantic suspense with a little bit of mystery, laughter, and steam. I’m also working on a romance series set in charming Alaska towns, and a young adult dark thriller (ghost story) series.
  1. What genre are your books?
My Willow Creek series and coming soon Alaska series are both contemporary romantic suspense. The young adult series I’m working on is a dark thriller/ghost story.
  1. What drew you to the genre you write?
I love that butterfly feeling when two people fall in love. I’m addicted to those happily ever after’s and love writing about them.
  1. Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?(any book you like)
For my last release, Secretly Scandalous, I pictured Julianne Hough as Kim and Eddie Cibrian as Evan.
  1. Do you write full-time or part-time?
I write part-time, as I do have a full-time day job. Someday I hope to answer the opposite! 
  1. What is the hardest thing about writing?
For me, it’s prioritizing which story/book to work on next. I have so many ideas in my head, but having to pick one at a time to focus on the most is a challenge.
  1. Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?
First, I would try free-writing. This is where you open a blank document and type a conversation to yourself talking through your challenges. Sometimes, just in rambling about your frustrations, the answer will start develop right there on the page. If that doesn’t work, maybe you need a night off to do nothing. Binge watch Netflix or go for a walk or out for a drink with friends. Just don’t this thirty-nine days in a row. Take a day or two off if you need it. It’s okay. You might come back with the objective space you need to move forward.
  1. Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?
I love to read. I wish I read more than I did, but time is against me. Romance – my favorite romance authors are Jude Deveraux, Kristan Higgins, Niecey Roy, Jules Dixon, Jill Shalvis, Nora Roberts, Robyn Peterman, Victorine Lieske, and I could seriously go on! I also enjoy Spencer Quinn (mystery from the dog’s POV!), and Barbara Michaels (mystery).
  1. Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

  1. How can Readers discover more about you and your work?(please provide proper links)

No comments:

Post a Comment