Sunday 19 March 2017

My Interview with Author Fanny Lee Savage


When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?

There wasn’t an exact moment. As a child I always made up stories and played them out in my head at night when I couldn’t sleep. When I was a teen, I wrote poems. Years ago, I started writing a story but let it sit unfinished. Over the years I’d get glimpses, almost like movie clips, of what should happen next in that story. Next thing I know I found the book was almost done. I realized I had an entire series on my hands and someone should probably read it. 
That was how The Guardian Series was born. 

Where do you get your ideas for your book?

They just kind of pop up. The Guardian Series started with an image in my head that I used in the book. The scene where Charlotte first meets Aydin. The plot formed as I wrote. Same with the Playhouse Series. I’ve several WIP and they all come to me that way, with a scene that sparks an entire story. 

What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?

Reading, which lately I’ve not been doing much of. Spend time with my daughter. I play games, do research for my books, listen to music, and watch movies or binge on a new series.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

So far four. The first two in separate series. Picking a favorite is impossible. I love each story and its characters for different reasons. If I have to pick, I guess the second in the Guardian Series, In the shadow of Monsters, would be a personal favorite. I enjoyed writing it so much and I think my style developed better and defined itself.

Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?

Same as everyone. Write! Even when you can’t write, just write a few sentences. Write down every beautiful thing you see and jot down notes on all the bad things too. Describe them to yourself as soon as you see it so they are remembered. Collect words. Listen to music. Look at art. Travel, and if you can’t travel, look at the world through images online if you have to. Watch shows and movies that make you think or question the way you feel…
Inspire yourself every day with the world around you, because that is what writing is about. Telling stories about people, places, and hearts. 

What do you think makes a great story?

Heart, or whatever lies at the root of the story and how well the message is delivered through the characters. So, I guess what makes a story great is how well we can relate to the character, not because we can personally, but because of how well developed and exposed they are. I see writing a story as delving into the mind, heart, soul of a fictional person and showing the reader their insides. You can have the most technically perfect book, but if the characters fall flat, the story itself will fail. 

Which Writer/Authors inspire you?

All of my personal favorite authors of course, but you’d be surprised where inspiration comes from. If I read a book that I love for whatever reason, I try to pinpoint what it was in the story that made me like it and remember it. Whether it was a well-developed character, well used metaphors, or descriptive scenes. 

What are you working on at the moment?(optional)

Several projects. I’m slowly writing the 3rd book in the Guardian Series, In the Shadow of Demons. Also a standalone novella about two best friends that I’m excited about, as well as designing book covers, which I’m hoping to have available soon.  

What genre are your books?

Romance and erotica. Sub genres would be paranormal, mystery and suspense.


What drew you to the genre you write?

I grew up reading mysteries and suspense, but started reading more romance as I got older, and found myself gravitating toward paranormal. I guess it’s natural that my stories revolve around what I read the most. 

Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?(any book you like)

This is so hard! Charlotte, I’ve always pictured looking similar to Charlize Theron. That classic, old Hollywood Grace Kelly look. Aydin is a cross between Luke Evans and model David Gandy. 

Do you write full-time or part-time?

Right now it’s any time I can.

What is the hardest thing about writing?

You mean besides the writing? Everything about it is hard. In my experience, the words can flow like a raging river, almost to the point you have no choice but to write or you’ll drown, or the words have dried up and there is nothing. And when I say nothing, I mean thinking of a word to start a sentence is difficult.  Stringing words together to form a story is the hardest part at times. Others, it’s near impossible to plot, or find the characters voice, or find out the ending. Writing is hard at different times for different reasons. 

Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?

You got any? I’d love a few tips to help me out when I get stuck. Usually, I listen to music and exercise if it’s a simple problem. I also read when I get stuck. Funny how other people’s words can help you find new ones. 

Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?
Romance, mystery, thrillers, suspense, erotica. I’ll read pretty much anything if the blurb catches my attention. As for my go to authors, it’s a long and odd list. Alice Hoffman, Barbara Kingsolver, Dennis Lehane, Harlan Coben, Stephen White, Elizabeth Hunter, Leah Raeder…
Too many to list.


Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

How can Readers discover more about you and your work?(please provide proper links)

I’m on FB more than anything.
Website – https://fannyleesavage.com/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005721708130
FB Page – https://www.facebook.com/fannyleesavageauthor/
Twitter – https://twitter.com/fannyleesavage?lang=en

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview 😊

1 comment:

  1. Great interview. The running through stories at night before you fall asleep is what I've always done too. My stories are always far better than the TV anyway!

    ReplyDelete