Monday 6 March 2017

My Interview with Author Elena Kincaid



1.     When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/Author?

 I started telling stories and creating magical worlds before I even knew how to write them down. I pretty much always knew that that was what I wanted to do.

2.     Where do you get your ideas for your book?

 Ideas just sort of pop into my head most of the time. I’ll be listening to a song, watching a movie, and it just triggers something. I’ve also gotten ideas from a dream many times actually. In fact, the first book I ever got published started out that way. I dreamt about a man and a woman, sitting in an igloo, and the woman was distraught about how much she was in love with him but didn’t want to live in a dream anymore. I woke up and began to frantically jot down notes. Within about a day, I had almost the entire book outlined. You can read the igloo scene in my book, Three Made In Heaven, pretty much the way I dreamt it. Sometimes my dreams can be nonsensical, but something in them has often times inspires my stories.

3.     What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?

 Reading of course. J I devour books. I also love going to museums, would love to travel more, but I also very much enjoy being a homebody.

4.     How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

 I have my tenth publication coming out in April 2017 titled Arctic Spirit. It’s part of the Shared For The First Time Ménage Boxset Anthology, and will be the first book in a brand new series later on. I have a couple of other projects in the works and details will be coming soon on those.  It’s hard for me to really pick a favorite because I feel like they are all my children, but the first “YES” I got will always be very special to me. I also have a few projects I’ll be working on in the future that have me super excited, so who knows, maybe I’ll pick a favorite then. I get attached to each and every story I write.

5.     Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?

 Absolutely! Write, write, write. I also recommend: edit, edit, edit, and afterwards, make sure it goes through more rounds of editing professionally. No one is infallible and sometimes typos are unavoidable, but how embarrassing would it be for a reader to mentally correct grammar as they read your story, not to mention the fact that it can also pull them right out of it.

6.     What do you think makes a great story?

 The characters, for sure. They are the heart and soul of a story and if readers love them and connect with them, the greater the chance they will love your book.

7.     Which Writer/Authors inspire you?

 Gosh, I have so many. The list is long from classic to cotemporary, but to name a few: Jane Austin, Edgar Allan Poe, and Charles Dickens have been such lifelong favourites of mine. I also love J.K. Rowling, Diana Gabaldon, Cassandra Clare, Jennifer L. Arementrout, and of course my two awesome SME ladies, Sarah Marsh and Maia Dylan, who I co-write the Beyond The Veil series with. Those girls inspire me all the time and I fan girl over their work as well.

8.     What are you working on at the moment?

 Right now I am in the middle of Beta Wars, Book Three in my Pack Warrior series. Book one, Alpha Blood, thanks to you beautiful wonderful readers, was voted Evernight Readers choice awards 2015 Best Romance On The Go, and Best Ménage in the 2016 TRR Readers Choice Awards. I wrote Book Two, which was nominated in the 2016 Evernight Readers Choice Awards, as a thank you to readers. Alpha Blood Treat is available as a free read. I am also working on the next book in the Beyond The Veil series with Sarah Marsh and Maia Dylan.
9.     What genre are your books? I write mostly paranormal romance.

10.                        What drew you to the genre you write?

 I love to read it, so what better genre to write in.

11.                        Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?

 I adore Caitriona Balfe and Sam Heughan, Colin O’Donoghue, Dominic Sherwood, Emilia Clarke, so they can pretty much be in any of my books. Oh, and maybe throw in a little Mariska Hargitay somewhere. I just love her, plus her name is so much fun to say.

12.                        Do you write full-time or part-time?

 I am not sure I would consider my writing part time, but I do still have a day job, and long for the day that writing can be my sole career.

13.                        What is the hardest thing about writing?

 Not enough hours in the day sometimes to do it. And also, there are days when the words are flowing, and days when they need extra coaxing.

14.                        Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?

For me, writers block comes in the form of where I have a scene in my head, but it’s like the characters are on mute and I can’t hear what they are saying, so I just leave it alone for a bit and let it stew. Music helps or going for a walk while listening to music. Sometimes I even pace.

15.                        Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?

 The authors I listed above are some of my favorites and I absolutely love to read. I feel like I always need to be in the middle of some book. Though I do enjoy many genres, my favorite would have to be paranormal romance.

16.                        Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

 Thank you so much for the interview. I had a lot of fun answering these. J

17.                        How can Readers discover more about you and your work?

Readers can always find out about my new releases and what I am up to by subscribing to my blog, following my Amazon Author Page and FB author page. I also have a Street Team group with Sarah Marsh and Maia Dylan and can be found on Twitter. Here are my links:



Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview 

No comments:

Post a Comment