Tuesday 7 March 2017

My Interview with Author Stacey Broadbent


  1. When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?

I’ve always had a love of the written word, and throughout my school days I would try to write stories, but always got stuck!  Three years ago I was trying to think of a way to make some extra cash, and this story popped into my head.  I just started writing, and after a few months, I had  my first book written.

  1. Where do you get your ideas for your book?

Some of it is from personal experience, some from my imagination.  I find it easier to write about what I know.

  1. What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?

Reading :)
Spending time with family and friends, going to movies, dancing.

  1. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

I’ve written six books including one I co-wrote with a friend.  That one was probably my favourite one.  Awesome Applesauce was so easy to write.  We had no plan, and wrote a chapter each, just throwing each other in the deep end!  It was great fun!
I’m also working on a story to be released this month which I’m really loving.

  1. Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?

Write for you.  Don’t make it about the money, because it doesn’t happen for everyone.  It’s not as easy as everyone thinks.
Don’t be afraid to ask for help.  Take your time and use a good editor.
Don’t expect fame and fortune!  We’re not all E.L. James or J.K. Rowling.
You can’t please everyone.

  1. What do you think makes a great story?

Characters with depth.  Plot twists.  Emotion.  Good editing - spelling errors, interruption in story flow, grammatical errors - these can be the difference between a good story and a great story.

  1. Which Writer/Authors inspire you?

Colleen Hoover is such a huge inspiration.  Not only does she write fantastic stories, she also dedicates a lot of time donating to charities.
Jamie McGuire was actually the first author I wanted to Facebook stalk lol.  She was the one who made me want to be a part of this community.
Sloane Howell was my first author friend, and someone who would answer any questions I had, no matter how silly.  He is also big on donating to charities.  I had the privilege of meeting him a few weeks ago, and he is every bit as amazing in person as he is on FB.
Celia Aaron is one of my fave authors.  I want to write like her.  She never fails to amaze me with her plot lines and writing voice.  She has also been a sounding board for me, and someone I can always count on.

  1. What are you working on at the moment?(optional)

At the moment I’m working on a few different stories.  My main focus is on Never Judge a Book.  This was released as part of an anthology last year, but I’m giving the characters their full story and releasing end of this month.
I’m also working on the third and final story in the Dancing novella series, Dancing with Destiny.

  1. What genre are your books?

lol I don’t have a specific genre.  I’ve written a zombie thriller, NA romance novellas, comedies about motherhood, a romantic comedy…
I can’t decide what I like most!

  1. What drew you to the genre you write?

I write whatever comes to me.  Sometimes I have a plan, sometimes its off the cuff.

  1. Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?(any book you like)

I’d love to see Drew Barrymore playing my character, Dinah Might, from Awesome Applesauce.  I think she’d be perfect for it!

  1. Do you write full-time or part-time?

Part-time.  One day I hope to do it full-time though.

  1. What is the hardest thing about writing?

Promoting myself and sending my work out into the world.  As an author, you always have that self-doubt, that perhaps your story actually isn’t any good.

  1. Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?

I am quite often working on more than one story at once, so I can jump between them.  Otherwise, I find it quite good to get out of my head, go for a walk or read a book.  The words flow better when I’m not putting pressure on myself.

  1. Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?

I love to read!  I love a good suspense/thriller, dark romance, romantic comedy, a bit of everything really.
Faves: Colleen Hoover, Jamie McGuire, Karin Slaughter, Jodi Picoult, Celia Aaron, Sloane Howell, SK Lessner, M Dauphin, HQ Frost, James Herbert

  1. Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

  1. How can Readers discover more about you and your work?(please provide proper links)


Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview 😊

2 comments: