Tuesday 7 March 2017

My Interview with Sheri-Lynn Marean


When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?

After 2001, I often thought of writing a story of some things that happened in my life for my oldest son, but in 2008, I read a fiction book that really pissed me off, so I decided to write my own stories. I never thought I’d be a writer, but I’ve always made stories up, from characters in books, or movies or TV shows, I’d just continue on, with what if this or that happened to them. The next thing I knew, I was writing. 

Where do you get your ideas for your book?

Everywhere! TV, Movies, books, while driving, showering, eating, lol. Sometimes from something someone says, or even feelings another book made me feel, then it’s like, hm…what can I do with that, what if….

What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?

Reading. Horseback Riding, Drawing (Which I haven’t done a lot of in the last 2 yrs, but I still sell my art on ETSY) Photography, and of course watching my TV shows.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

I’ve written 4, released the first 3 in 2016, & #4 releases at the end of March, if all goes well. I have #5 mostly done, plus a few others started as well. It is hard to pick just one as my favorite, but I think up to this point, Dracones Thaniel has touched my heart the most, though Soroyan, the big bad wolf is coming in a close second, but there is just something about the sweet broken Were-leopard of bk4…

Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?

Don’t listen to anyone who says you can’t do it. Just do it. 
Even if you don’t plot much, I recommend Debra Dixon’s GMC, (Goal, Motivation, Conflict) to make your characters & structure stronger. Also, KM Weiland’s Structuring your novel. I don’t do much structure myself, just a GMC chart & a very basic arc, along with a timeline, but KM Weiland’s book has a ton of extra little tips, (hooking your reader, etc)
Make sure you have a hook in your first sentence, paragraph, and all the way through the first chapter to keep your readers reading, wanting to know more. 
I also spent months in a group called agentqueryconnect.com, and the learning experience was invaluable. 
So often, I see blurbs that give away too much of the story so that you don’t need to read it, or it just doesn’t hook you. Learn to do your blurb right, there are many resources out there on how.  
Make sure you have a handful of decent beta readers, even give them a questionnaire, if possible. Don’t know  how to find any, join some writing groups on FB, even ask an author whose books are in the same genre to help. Donya Lynne helped me get my first bunch of beta’s from her own beta’s/readers. 
Hire a good, editor! Be careful, try & get a referral to a few good editors, as some have just slapped the title to their name and sound like they know what they are doing. Get some referrals, get a sample edit to make sure you can work together. I now have a question I ask any editor I am considering. I ask them to explain Passive/active writing, and some understand the basic, but not what passive/active writing really is. 

What do you think makes a great story?

I like deep characters, not perfect and shiny, but often flawed or broken, or with issues, etc, A good strong storyline, with twists is nice, action and a book that hooks me and won’t let go.

Which Writer/Authors inspire you?

Sherrilyn Kenyon is my biggest inspiration, you can’t help but fall in love with her characters and want your own! In fact, a year before I put out my first book, I had a beta reader who hated my male M/C, and while I knew not everyone was going to love my characters, or my book/story, it still made me take a closer look to see if I could make them any better. I then want back and re-read Sherrilyn’s books again for the 3rd time and studied what it was that I loved about her characters, then I went to work on mine, and I am so grateful to that beta reader for her honesty since I now have readers falling in love with mine as well. 
Another inspiration was JR Ward, her characters, their close family feeling, even though they aren’t related and her multi POV’s.

What are you working on at the moment? (optional)

I am presently working on bk5, Dracones Rogue, it is about the big bad wolf, Soroyan.  (Along with Zander’s book and Enyowas & Elianna, not sure if they will be full length, or novellas) Plus I am starting a spin off young adult series from the Dracones, starting with wolf shifter teens/kids, along with making a clean, sex free version of my first book for my daughter to read, lol

What genre are your books?

DARK, steamy, Paranormal Romance/Fantasy

What drew you to the genre you write?

I love the magical elements that seem so natural in the books.

Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book? (any book you like)

I’d love Jensen Ackles, though he’s a bit old, so possibly Tyler Hoechlin as Jax. I think Poppy Drayton with long wavy back hair as Tierney. Kit Harrington with dark, shaggy blond hair as Sami.  Chris Hemsworth would be Zander with shoulder length black hair. Josh Holloway with long silver/blue & blond hair as Kyrian. And Steven Amel with dark brows, dark whiskers, and shoulder length black hair as Soroyan, and Dylan Sprayberry with long pale blond hair as Thaniel. (Yes, I love Supernatural, Teen Wolf, Arrow, etc, lol)


Do you write full-time or part-time?

Full time as much as possible. With my 2 youngest still at home, and trying to do every aspect of releasing a book, it isn’t easy. 

What is the hardest thing about writing?

Not worrying about all the other stuff that needs doing, the formatting, links in the back of the book, updating website, writing NL content, Character Interviews, Promos, parties, worrying about the next cover, etc. I often find it hard to focus on turning it all off and just writing. 

Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?

No idea, haven’t had that yet, just too much going on in my head, so maybe I have the opposite problem, I have so much I want to get out, but not sure where to start sometimes, or which to work on, lol

Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?

I don’t read as much as I used to, I used to read 5-6 bks a week, but in the last year, I only make time to read my absolute favorite authors when their next books come out. 
Anything Paranormal Romance, Fantasy, but I prefer Dark. 
Again, that would be Sherrilyn Kenyon, JR Ward, Donya Lynne, Gena Showalter, Nalini Singh, Patricia Briggs, Faith Hunter, Laurell K. Hamilton, Keri Lake, JF Lewis along with many others. 

Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

             My first book, Dracones awakening is FREE. http://amzn.to/28KqxwL

How can Readers discovery more about you and your work? (please provide proper links)

My Website: http://www.sheri-lynnmarean.com
Newsletter sign up: http://www.sheri-lynnmarean.com/newsletter/
               Email: sheri@sheri-lynnmarean.com
FB: https://www.facebook.com/SheriLynnMareanAuthor/
            Amazon Author page: amazon.com/author/sherilynnmarean
             Bookbub: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/sheri-lynn-marean
            
             I’m on Twitter & Goodreads, but the best way to contact me is through FB, or email and I love to hear from Fans/fellow authors…
            Twitter.com/SheriLynnMarean
               Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/14926752.Sheri_Lynn_Marean


Thank you very much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to take part in this interview 
Thank you for offering to interview me here to day. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for interviewing me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the interview very cool and interesting

    ReplyDelete