Tuesday 7 March 2017

My Interview with Author Ian D Smith


When did you first realize you wanted to become a Writer/author?

I first vaguely thought about writing a novel when I was about ten, but I didn't do anything about it. A few years ago, I needed a release from a lot of stress and decided to write the sort of story I wanted to read - slightly escapist mild adventures involving erotic romance

Where do you get your ideas for your books?

Some are very loosely inspired by other stories I've read or seen as TV shows or films, but I honestly don't know where the ideas themselves come from. And it's so much fun writing them that I really don't mind!

What kind of things do you enjoy when not writing?

Photography, cookery, archery, spending time with our dogs and horses, walking on the coast or moors near where I live

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

My third novella will be published in mid-April, but I've also had short stories published in a weekly publication and several anthologies. 

I'm very pleased with my latest novella, "From The Top", but I'm still very fond of my short story "Fire In the Sky", in the "Elemental Desires" anthology. 

Do you have any suggestions to help others who have a passion for writing?

Read stories you really enjoy, but with an eye to how the author told the story. Then sit down and write. Short stories are a great way to start. And join a constructive critique group, if you can. Not only will they comment on your work, you'll learn by reading and commening on other people's writing.

What do you think makes a great story?

For me, it's engaging characters, a setting I can imagine, a storyline which hooks me, surprises along the way, and a satisfying ending.

Which Writer/Authors inspire you?

I came across Len Deighton while I was a teenager, and I still enjoy his work. I love his simple, sparse narrative which paints pictures in my mind, the plausible characters and his laid-back hero

What are you working on at the moment?(optional)

Developing ideas for the fourth novella in my series, but there are a couple of short stories which seem to want me to write them!

What genre are your books?

Erotic romance, but I like to write stories first and foremost, ones in which romantic relationships develop and involve intimacy.

What drew you to the genre you write?

I'll admit to enjoying the odd bit of "chick-lit", but felt the "love scenes" were a bit tame. So I decided to see if I could make them... raunchier.

Which Actor/Actress would you like to see portraying the lead character from your most recent book?(any book you like)

I really don't know. My characters seem real in my imagination and I struggle to find models in the stock agency websites who even remind me of them!

Do you write full-time or part-time?

Part-time, or strictly speaking, in my free time! I love writing, but it'll take a while before I find enough readers to even consider it as as marginal source of income.

What is the hardest thing about writing?

Setting aside free time when I have ideas ready to write, and enough mental energy to get stuck in.

Any tips on how to get through the dreaded Writer’s block?

Not something I've had to deal with, thankfully, but I suspect I'd read or go off and do other things until my subconscious wanted me to write something.

Do you read much, and if so who are your favorite Authors or genres?

I probably listen to more books than I read, as I while away my daily commutes with audiobooks. These tend to be thrillers, mysteries or crime stories. I tend to choose based on the blurb and reviews rather than purely the author.

Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?

Not that I can think of, other than thanking you for this opportunity to talk about myself and my writing.

How can Readers discover more about you and your work?(please provide proper links)

Links to all my published stories are in the pinned post on my Facebook author page, and I post about my newer books there regularly:
https://www.facebook.com/ian.d.smith.writer

I also use my regular Facebook profile to talk about my writing:
https://www.facebook.com/Dr.Ian.D.Smith

I'm on twitter and keep on thinking I ought to use it more:
https://twitter.com/ians2005

One of my new year aspirations-but-not-quite-resolutions was to remember I have a blog and post to it more! I often have other authors as guests, talking about their work:
http://ianiscurious.blogspot.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment